Friday 23 July 2010

Eastbourne Open Water 5 km

This past Saturday, I swam in the Eastbourne 5k Sea Swim.  Great race even though the surf was not ideal.  Ideal not be the word, actually brutal.  I got my ass kicked battling it and took on more salt water than I have ever drank.  At one point I started to believe the water actually tasted alright.  The 4th lap was the worst on the front stretch more so than the last three laps.  The wind really picked up and the tide changed at the same time.  I had to do water polo kick up's to see over the break and that still was almost impossible.  Right before that lap I had a gel duct taped to my ass under my suit.  That came in handy as I needed one the energy and to wash my mouth out.  In the end I made it to the finish without drowning.  It was a good event and great training for the worst case scenario ie the ship i goes down in a storm, I know I can at least 5k in the stormy water....

Result - 25th overall and 5th in my category.

No comments:

Post a Comment